Under minimal supervision, this position sets up and operates CNC machine centers to fabricate metal parts. The CNC machinist loads parts in the machine, cycles machine and detects malfunctions in machine operations, such as worn or damaged cutting tools. The position runs production lots, communicates with co-workers regarding productions runs, and maintains a safe, organized and clean work environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs all assigned machine shop operations in a safe and responsible manner.
- Properly and safely loads and unloads raw materials in CNC machinery.
- Programs, sets up and calibrates CNC equipment.
- job requirements and materials used to enter control panel settings for tool travel, axis movement, and tool speeds.
- understanding, interpretation, and ability to write simple G and M codes.
- recognition, deployment, and proper use of inserts, fixtures, and tooling.
- use of gages and measuring tools to meet tolerance requirements.
- understanding and ability to perform tool wear offsets.
- Monitors machine performance and troubleshoots as needed including light maintenance.
- Reads blueprints and other work orders to perform job.
- Ensures quality control of parts produced.
- Complies with all quality policies, specifications, regulations and instructions.
- Completes and maintains paperwork for parts.
- Ensures work is done safely by adhering to established safety policies and procedures.
- Maintains clean and safe work area including daily and regular cleaning of machinery in compliance with all procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Required- High school diploma or G.E.D. Certificate. Preferred- Two-year technical degree in Machine Technology or equivalent.
- Required- Experience as a CNC Machinist or CNC education. Preferred- Minimum 2 years of experience programming and operating CNC machine equipment.
- Ability to interpret blueprints, shop drawings, sketches or other production orders.
- Maintain routine records.
- Knowledge of trade tools, equipment, materials, micrometer, as well as, methods and techniques used in safe machining operations.
- Strong attention to quality and detail orientation.
- Mechanical capacity.
- Mathematical skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Time management skills to meet schedules and time standards, to best of ability as instructed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships.