Quality Assurance Supervisor
LOCATION: Sleepy Eye (50 miles west of Mankato, MN or 110 miles South of Mpls, MN)
DEPARTMENT: Quality Assurance
FLSA STATUS: Salaried Non-Exempt
STATUS: Full Time
BUSINESS SEGMENT: Human Nutrition & Health
REPORTS TO: Quality Manager
Our client develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Corporate headquarters is located in New York, and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, a publicly traded company with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products, employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions.
The Quality Assurance Supervisor is responsible for working with the site Operations team to ensure personnel safety, food safety, quality and efficiency of products manufactured the site.
This person will take a lead role in ensuring that new products developed by the R&D team are commercialized into efficient production at the plant level. The person in this role will be a member of the site Food Safety Team, supporting Food Safety System risk assessment as well as development of specifications and defining operating quality checks that will ensure compliance to customer specification.
The person in this role will continuously optimize the safety, quality, consistency and efficiency of existing products by applying statistical principles and analyzing data to understand process capability, then suggest and implement improvements. This position exemplifies a positive culture that encourages continuous improvement and collaboration.
He/she will inspire trust through respecting employees and partners within and outside the organization, always doing the right thing while playing to win.
- Collaborates with R&D, operations and lab on development of specifications, regulatory documents and processing instructions for new products
- Participates in internal and external audits as needed
- Assures that products and processes follow regulatory requirements and the defined requirements of our customers
- Keeps up to date on applicable regulations and pending changes in regulations
- Communicates applicable regulations and changes to other departments as needed
- Provides technical assistance to other departments and customers as needed
- Works on special projects as needed
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert on production processes and Statistical Process Control
- Performs other duties as requested by management staff
- Drives continuous improvement with management of customer complaints and internal holds (CAPA, root cause analysis, etc.)
- Complies with all policies and procedures of the corporation
- Assist in training plant personnel of all levels in operations, quality, and R&D
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Food Science or related discipline
- 3+ years related experience
- Familiarity with 21CFR117 and GFSI standards.
- PCQI and HACCP certified desired
- Computer proficiency should include MS Office suite, Minitab or similar Statistical software
- Proficient in analytical/ critical thinking & problem solving
- Knowledge of experimental design, statistical process control and lean manufacturing principles
- Experience with Food Safety systems, liquid and dry processing systems preferred
- Continuous learning mindset
- An effective communicator with the ability to influence without authority and present ideas to senior leadership in a compelling and data-based manner
- Willing to actively engage with operators and technicians to educate on best practices and explain why the nuance of their job is important