ENGINEERING PROJECT MANAGER
As the Engineering Project Manager, you will get the unique opportunity to lead a cross-functional engineering team developing technologies and innovative product solutions across the Integrated Vision Solutions Sector.
This position is responsible for complete execution of assigned programs, providing overall management of complex product development projects through the product concept, system requirements, engineering design, and design verification phases. Projects may be the development portion of externally funded programs or internal funded research and development programs. For all assigned projects, the Engineering Project Manager is responsible for the cost, schedule, risk management and technical performance of development projects, serving as the single point of contact for the project. The Engineering Project Manager works closely with all functions within the organization, including Business Development, Engineering, Supply Chain, Operations, Contracts and Program Management teams, to develop and execute sound product development projects.
- Establishes program schedule to include the development of Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Integrated Master Schedule (IMS)
- Working with the technical lead, translates customer desires into system design architecture and project requirements, providing guidance for multidisciplinary design teams (i.e., systems, sensors, optics, mechanics, firmware, electronics)
- Reviews status of engineering projects and budgets; manages schedules and prepares status reports; able to prepare and present bid review briefings to senior leadership.
- Manages scope to ensure continued alignment with contract or internal requirements and budgets
- Controls expenditures within the limitations of the project budget and regularly reports on project budget to actual performance via the Estimate to Complete (ETC) process.
- Working as a matrix manager, directs the project team to include resource allocation and management
- Through expert communication and leadership skills, establishes a common understanding among team members on technical approach, scope, schedule, risk and financial objectives
- Monitors and assesses program performance against plan (schedule and financial), identifies risk, develops and implements corrective action when necessary to initiate program changes.
- Provides the coordination between resource managers/supervisors and ensures all necessary support is received
- Works with Supply Chain team to execute to procurement plan
- Able to utilize Earned Value Management as a cost control technique
- Performs as proposal manager or volume lead on technical/development aspects of bid and proposal activities
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values
- Performs other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Physics or other hard Science. Master of Business Administration or Master’s in technical field desired.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Technical Program or Project Manager working on multiple, simultaneous, complex product development projects.
- Proven track record of managing programs with challenging technical, schedule, risk and cost requirements.
- Experience in communicating complex technical subjects to non-technical audiences.
- Experience in the development and manufacture of Electro-Optical systems and components is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of Government contracting requirements such as FAR, ITAR, etc.
- Familiar with DOD/MIL standards and the military equipment acquisition and qualification process.
- Experience building strong relationships and effectively partnering with internal resources; customer focused
- Proficient in leading root cause analysis and troubleshooting complex technical situations
- Exceptional leadership and decision-making skills.
- Strong proficiency with common management tools such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Microsoft Project
- Knowledge of Deltek CostPoint or similar MRP/ERP software systems.
- Superb analytical, project management and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills. Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively to promote collaboration among the program team.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) Project/Program Management Professional (PMP) Certification a plus.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance, if required.
strong Engineering background and degree. Be able to work across teams and drive projects to completion. A proven history of taking projects from beginning to end. Defense experience strongly desired.