Perform Hematology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, Chemistry and Blood Bank (when applicable) testing using automated and manual techniques on a regular basis. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Includes the Following:
- Understands and adheres to the WPH Performance Standards, Policies and Behaviors.
- Demonstrate knowledge of hospital and departmental policies and procedures
- Attend staff meetings and in-services
- Completes annual competency requirements
- Ability to use laboratory computer system
- Produce work free of technical and clerical error
- Evaluate integrity of specimens and validity of test results
- Perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting on laboratory instrumentation
- Perform and document QC and remedial action when necessary
- Successfully complete both internal and external proficiency testing
- Prioritize workload and tasks
- Inform supervisors of problems in a timely manner
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- New York State Medical Technologist license required or able to acquire before employment
- B.S. or A.S. degree in Medical Technology or Laboratory Science with one year of relevant hospital experience preferred.
- ASCP or NCA certification preferred