Our client is an early-stage well-funded startup developing fully automated systems/technology and a wide variety of related hardware and software. They are expanding an elite team of smart, hard-working professionals to lead one of the fastest-growing industries in the world.
Our client is seeking an innovative and ambitious finance professional to step into the company’s newly created Controller position. They are taking on business challenges from a diverse customer base that includes small businesses, large commercial enterprises, and a wide array of US government agencies. The controller must be a hands-on individual highly motivated and experienced in working with growing technology companies, willing to intensively collaborate with the company’s executive team to implement efficient and effective new financial systems. Over half the company’s revenue comes from US Government contracts, so a strong familiarity with Government contract accounting rules (such as FAR and DCAA) is a necessity to do this job. As the company grows, new budgeting, project tracking and financial analysis systems will be needed to scale and maximize profitability.
This position will report to the COO and is based in the Company’s HQ in downtown Boston. Our client has a flexible work schedule that requires at least 3 days in the company’s office when MA state protocols allow for a return to office.
- Supervising company accountant
- Manage annual financial audit preparation process
- Lead preparation of all government-required financial information, including quarterly updates to support approved government indirect rates
- Assist tax preparer providing information to prepare income tax returns
- Create and oversee financial reporting systems and dashboards
- Coordinate individual project budgets and expense tracking with program managers
- Assist COO with HR administration
This is an investment-funded technology company that primarily does work for the government. This is a great opportunity for someone with government accounting experience that wants to use their skills in a startup environment. The desired profile includes public accounting with strong cost-government accounting experience, DCAA auditors looking to move into a management role, and/or program accounting specialists with large defense contractors looking to move into a more entrepreneurial environment.
The company has a flexible work policy but the expectation is that the selected candidate will work in the office at least three days per week when health conditions allow for that.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- Must have experience at companies conducting work for the US Government and maintaining DCAA/FAR compliant accounting and timekeeping systems.
- Experience with a mix of companies including early stage, high tech/ high growth, and companies with $20-50m in revenue
- Proven track record of designing and implementing processes and systems where none may have previously existed.
- Demonstrable strength in operations and the use of software to improve efficiency.
- Comfort using both Google Apps for business and the Microsoft Office suite, especially google sheets and Excel.