Brief Job Overview:
The Controls Engineer supports a World Class manufacturing plant of 1800 professional and hourly associates (non-union), and will design, develop and improve manufacturing processes through application of Industrial Control Systems (ICS) and Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES). Position reports to the Manufacturing Engineering Assistant Manager.
Specific Job Duties:
- Develops, maintains, and optimizes Control Systems implementation including operation & maintenance procedures.
- Source new suppliers of industrial control systems and automation.
- Test, monitor and evaluate control systems of new mechanical equipment.
- Define ICS/MES solution standards and develop detailed design specifications
- Support manufacturing engineers in the role of subject matter expert for ICS/MES.
- Develops manufacturing controls solutions with the primary focus being operator safety by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors and other engineers.
- Improves manufacturing productivity by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout in accordance with Company’s 5-Gen Principles.
- Manages project related activities in a transparent way for new programs or changes to existing programs. Scope including but not limited to timing, budgets, design details, team coordination, quotations, vendor procurement coordination.
- Test that systems are working correctly and identifying, investigating and repairing any system faults.
- Facilitates with maintenance the setup of preventative maintenance initiatives for new equipment following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special service.
- Completes implementation of new or revised processes by training manufacturing and maintenance technicians.
- Discuss and evaluate systems failures with management and non-technical personnel.
- Review results and meet with managers to discuss methods of improving the productivity of existing systems, taking into consideration the use of the latest technology.
- Supports manufacturing to achieve safety, productivity and quality targets through process design, optimization projects and Kaizen initiatives.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- May be required to support during off-working hours.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by supporting other team members as capacity issues arise.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 3 years industry experience in software development, programming
or engineering/IT discipline.
- Programming skill in Visual Basic, C, C++.
- Creation and troubleshooting of PLC programs.
- Strong exposure to MES technologies, including automated data collection, visualization, quality and efficiency in manufacturing.
- Industrial Control Systems (ICS), SCADA, automated decision control, workflow, scheduling, and interface to ERP systems.
- SQL programming and databases.
- Experience with IT environment or organization, Project Management, and Allen Bradley Products.