This Hospital & Medical Center offers compassionate and responsive care for the improvement of human life. Our expert physicians and clinicians, and every employee, strives each day to bring outstanding service to the bedside. Serving the Valley for more than 50 years, this Hospital brings "quality care, close to home."
Many of our services, including Orthopedic Surgery, Gastrointestinal Care and Critical are highly-ranked on a national scale. We provide a special place for women with our Women's Diagnostic Center. We are home to the renowned Burn Center.
We house an expansive Emergency Department, now made more accessible 24/7 with the addition of a new helipad. This means a more efficient transport service for the region's burn patients and others who are critically injured.
Also an Advanced Stroke Center as designed by the Joint Commission and home to the first accredited Chest Pain Center in Los Angeles County.
Our staff of 900 employees and Medical Staff of 450 look forward to serving you.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Drives operational excellence throughout the service area and leads growth of service line volume within facility, development of new programs and advancement of existing ones. Partners with senior administrators, executives and professional staff to distinguish his/her facilities’ services and experience in the eyes of the physician, patient and consumers.
Executes Strategy by:
- Scanning the competitive environment, leading business planning process and providing strategies to drive profitable service line growth while reducing costs per case.
- Partnering closely with senior executives, sales and marketing executives and service line management to enable growth strategies.
- Developing business case, including financials, for new program development and capital projects.
- Identifying and driving new physician and volume opportunities for the hospital ensuring alignment with clinical leaders.
- Working together with marketing and physician relations executives to promote the services to physicians and consumers.
- Collaborating with physicians to develop and foster positive working relationships.
Increases Operational Efficiency by:
- Monitoring key operational and financial metrics for improvement opportunities.
- Driving process improvement within the service line to increase employee engagement and physicians satisfaction.
- Enabling finding solutions to problems that get in the way of differentiated service.
- Working with hospital administrative team and department director(s) for program development, implementation, execution monitoring and evaluation of services at the hospital.
- Ensuring physician and professional staff have the necessary equipment to perform.
- Participating in hospital annual budgeting process related to service line.
- Engaging with national, division and facility service lines leaders to obtain and share best practices in service line.
- Supporting the recruitment process to secure staffing talent.
Improves Clinical Outcomes by:
- Supporting a positive patient experience by providing optimal cost effective delivery of services by physicians and professional staff within a safe department
- Ensuring that oversight, processes and resources are in place to improve clinical outcomes
- Enabling clinical excellence by aligning goals with the clinical leaders and removing barriers for clinical practice as needed
- Communicating to clinical leaders any matters that can affect the clinical operations and deferring clinical judgments to those leaders
- Participating in rounding with patients and meeting with physicians and staff to ensure a high quality patient experience
- Collaborating with the facility surgical procedure schedulers focusing on accurate data collection and customer service to increase the surgical volume
- Current licensure of the State of California.
- Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) preferred
- Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) preferred
- BSN Required
- Masters in Nursing preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare
- 3+ years of experience in business development
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role
- MUST have recent acute care experience
- MUST have experience with overseeing 7+ OR's
- 260 Beds
- 7 OR’s, 1 Cysto room -FTE’s - right under 40 (Main OR, central sterile, pacu/pre-op, Endo) / 5 departments
- 1 Manager (Paula) – she has been the one consistent person in the OR for years & years. Been there for 15 years.
- Have DaVinci XO, Mazor spine surgery, robotics is a big area of focus & growth, only hospital at immediate marketplace that have those surgical capabilities.
- Have open heart surgery program, 3 new CV surgeons that have recently joined & ramping up & growing practice
- Do neuro surgery, starting a stroke program (middle tier between primary), starting neuro surgery call panel / will have on call nuero surgery
- 3 new neuro have joined. Do a little bit of everything, can do the brain bleads, aneurisms, interested in cranni’s, tumors, spine as well…..area of growth as well
- General – 2 big players in general & few others on call panel / 1 guy bariatrics focused. Getting trained for DaVinci
- No Trauma
- Reports to Isaiah Zirkle - COO
- Inpatient: 2465 (-7.5% to PY)
- Outpatient: 5076 (-39% to PY) – primarily driven by COVID
- IP 2927 (+7.8% to PY)
- OP 9154 (-2.3% to PY)
What they are looking for:
- Employee engagement – in a place where there is a need for someone who can come in and connect with the team on their level, someone who understands OR & operations
- There has been a big push in getting the whole team to understand that everyone can power to stop the line, if count is wrong on sponges, then anyone can do that, empowering everyone to speak up, setting the tone & culture that will support that staff….even if it is at odds with physician, teamwork, safety, & efficiencies
- #1 focus has to be focus improvement, engagement of staff & docs
- Robotics is good opportunity for them. Have had good growth there over last year
- Mostly right now trying to expand general, very unique OR there, not super high volume, futher impacted by COVID, cases do are complex, lot of burns, brains, spines, heart volume grew significantly last year, not many bread & butter cases
- Challenge – difficult to build processes when don’t have easy surgical cases
- Volume: they are in LA County, LA county has been basically closed since March, have had much more of a conservative approach, has impaced EMS, ER, physician clinics, Surgical volume
- Saw decent growth last year
- Do stroke, stemi, very strong, feeds a little cardiac program, do open hearts too
- Staffing – short on techs, nurses have more than need