Title: Director of Surgical Services- North Logan, Utah
Schedule: Fulltime – No Weekends
Since it was established in 2000, this Hospital has delivered high quality, cost-effective care to people who live and work in Cache, Box Elder and Rich counties as well as southern Idaho and western Wyoming communities. The medical staff’s patient-centered approach to delivering evidence-based care and utilizing advanced medical technology has ensured exceptional patient experiences and clinical outcomes. In 2013, this community hospital achieved the Healthinsight Quality Award as well as five-star rankings from Healthgrades® for its statistically significantly better patient outcomes related to spinal fusions and total knee replacements.
Get to Know US
We are an integrated system of hospitals, physician clinics and outpatient centers that is making healthcare more accessible and convenient all along the Wasatch Front. Our eight hospitals and numerous care centers are located from Logan to Payson with care also available throughout Salt Lake County, Weber County, Davis County and Utah County.
We are committed to the care and improvement of human life while taking care of each patient like they are a member of our own family. This patient-centered approach to caregiving focuses on respecting people as individuals and providing exceptional medical options and support during some of life’s most difficult and celebratory times.
Our administrators work collaboratively with physicians, nurses, technicians and support staff to deliver exceptional patient care and advance best practices in medicine. Our caregivers partner with patients and their families when it comes time to determine an individual plan of care. For these reasons and more, a growing number of independent physicians choose to practice at our hospitals and freestanding surgery centers.
We are a division of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services in 20 states across the country and in England. For the past four decades, they have provided medical expertise and state-of-the-art care to patients nationwide. As a result, some of the country’s most knowledgeable healthcare leaders guide the advancement and practice of medicine here within our network.
Further, medical innovation and technological improvements are funded within its Utah division while helping to ensure the quality and safety of patient care. It also helps to improve operational efficiency and achieve cost-effectiveness in the delivery of healthcare services; initiatives that ultimately benefit patients.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Director of Surgical Services Department leads the perioperative team by focusing on safe patient care while effectively managing operations. The Director Surgical Services has 24/7 responsibility for their departments.
- Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
- Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
- Advances the customer experience in Surgical Services.
- Coaches subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
- Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
- Facilitates evidence based employee engagement practices.
- Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
- Participate in employee and patient rounding
- Identifies and mentor potential future leaders
- Enforces standards of care for surgical services and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing surgical services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
- Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy, environmental, patient, and personnel safety
- Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
- Responsible for department’s operational excellence by ensuring delivery of quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Enforces safe procedural site and patient verification policy
- Monitors and responds to quality event reporting
- Supports new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
- Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
- Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
- Advances the growth agenda for Surgical Services.
- Strives to become the OR of Choice for physicians, patients, staff, and payers in the community they serve
- Demonstrates a poised and confident demeanor that reassures others and commands respect within the organization and the community.
- Develops and builds strategic internal and external networks.
- Current licensure of the State of California.
- Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) preferred
- Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) preferred
- BSN Required
- Masters in Nursing preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare
- 3+ years of experience in business development
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role
- MUST have recent acute care experience
- MUST have experience with overseeing 4+ OR's
- 4 OR’s – 28 beds
- Director responsible for: OR, same day, CS, & PACU
- 10-30 cases/day (30 is high - Don’t use all rooms every day - Some days just 3 run
- Normally schedule between 7:30am-5pm, but go on-call after that
- FTE’s – 20-25
- Volume has been pretty steady. Not really had a down-town.
Service Lines Available:
- Ortho is main – have a Mako robot, do general, urology, ENT, getting back into GYN, just acquiring DaVinci robot. Will also be doing endoscopies
- Great relationships with physicians. Very respectful. Ortho physicians are building ASC
- In a growth mode…..just barely starting with endo service line. To grow that want to do as well. Built LBRP unit 1.5 year ago for Women’s
- Current Director has been great. She implemented & enhanced surgical recovery there,
- Recruiting for urologist. One retired unexpectedly.
- Improved 21 points on physician engagement. Employee engagement improved overall as a facility
- Reports to CNO
- CEO – Been there 4 years
Salary: Salary: $100,000 - 115,000 MAX ( Max is 15+ years experience) - Salary is based on experience
Sign on: Yes
Relocation: Yes - Based on location
Yearly Bonus: Up to 15% of salary - Based on performance