Manager of Surgical Services- San Jose, CA
SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Reports to: Director of Surgical Services
Direct Reports: 70
# of Beds Per Unit: 12 OR
This 474 bed acute care hospital in the heart of Silicon Valley, has two locations, the main campus in San Jose, California and the Mission Oaks campus in Los Gatos, California. Recognized nationally for quality and safety and has been voted a “Family Favorite” hospital for more than ten years. It is one of only ten hospitals nationwide to be awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer four consecutive times. They are a leader in neurosciences, high-risk obstetrics, advanced cardiology and innovative surgery techniques, and is a Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center and an accredited Chest Pain Center.
The Manager of Surgical Services is responsible for the activities, supervision, management and direction of the Surgical Services Department in accordance with organizational and departmental philosophy and goals. This position will assist the Director in maintaining the highest degree of clinical and operational performance of the Department. The manager is responsible for leadership of Surgical Services personnel and/or students and functions as a resource for physicians, nursing staff and patients.
Responsible for the delivery of professional nursing care and provides leadership to staff. Requires basic understanding and ability to utilize the nursing process, develop and enforce guidelines of medical plan of care and departmental policies. Assess patients in order to plan, intervene and evaluate care.
This position reports to: Director of Surgical Services
- A.S. or Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required
- B.A. / B.S. preferred
Minimum Work Experience
- 3 years’ work experience in area of supervision required (would accept Charge Nurse experience but manager is preferred)
- 1-3 years of progressive hospital/nursing management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Evidence of experience which defines competency in Surgical Services, hospital and healthcare management. Evidence of experience in successful administration and leadership of organizational management programs
OPERATING ROOM EXPERIENCE IN ACUTE CARE IS REQUIRED
(Recent Acute care Experience is Required)
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse with the Board of Registered Nurses of the State of California
- ACLS Certification
- BLS Certification
SKILLS / ABILITIES / KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to manage department employee and labor relations / Human Resource related issues
- Current Microsoft, computer and other relevant software skills
- Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple assignments/ projects and respond to numerous requests
- Ability to resolve conflicts among staff and work collaboratively with department director, physicians and other members of the healthcare team
- Ability to ensure operational efficiency, problem solve and make decisions, and exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers
- Ability to sustain direction under minimal direction, in assessing needs, directing staff and carrying out departmental and professional responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed to accomplish work at hand.
- Requires basic understanding of and ability to utilize the nursing process; Requires knowledge, ability and judgment necessary to: Exercise judgment within the guidelines of the medical plan of care, department policy and licensure practice act.
- Oversee the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Create or assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization and nursing standards
- Promote effective communication within the multi-professional team and Understand management and delegation principles.
Salary: up to $201,988.80 annual (Depends on candidate's experience)
NO SIGN ON
Relocation Assistance is available However, the facility does not have a set amount and it all depends on where they're coming from.