The Director, Inventory Accounting is responsible for the accounting and reporting processes to ensure the accuracy and completeness of inventory and gross margin, including but not limited to cost of goods sold, shrink, scrap, warranty, rebates, and other reserves. Director of Inventory Accounting is a hands on leadership role, instrumental in developing and administering effective and efficient inventory accounting processes and controls, while ensuring best practice operations and continuous improvement in accuracy and efficiency. This position is also responsible for leveraging data to produce and validate valuable comprehensive analyses, business insights and internal reporting for management. This role is highly cross-functional and requires collaboration and significant partnership with a wide variety of teams across the business including IT, merchandising, operations, logistics and central purchasing. This position is based at the Corporate Office in Phoenix, Arizona and manages a team of 5 employees.
- Oversight of GL accounting; including monthly close, balance sheet reconciliations,
reserves, and financial reporting related to inventory and gross margin results, with appropriate
internal control documentation and support, while focusing on strategies to drive the reduction of
the close timeline
- Develop and execute well-defined and detailed reporting of gross margin and inventory balances
for use in validating results, preparing variance explanations and conducting trend analyses.
- Strong US GAAP related to inventory accounting to ensure the proper accounting treatment of all inventory transactions, vendor funds and inventory reserves.
- Finance business partner for the implementation of technology solutions impacting inventory,
includes translating business requirements into system requirements, designing efficient business
processes, validating data flows between systems, documenting key accounting system controls
and creating reconciliations to validate the flow of financial data into all accounting and reporting
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional leaders, troubleshoot issues impacting inventory balances / valuation and ensure adherence to accounting policies and internal controls.
- Evaluate, develop, implement, and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures
for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and
strengthening compliance; especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities
- Maintain ownership of key controls related to corporate accounts and processes; update SOX
narratives as needed and perform all assigned controls to ensure a strong control environment
over assigned processes.
- Continuously evaluate internal controls in response to changing systems/processes and work
with department leadership and Controller to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Provide internal and external auditors with requested documentation on a timely basis.
- Create ad-hoc reports and analysis as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA designation preferred; MBA a plus.
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and internal controls required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive experience with inventory accounting and reporting
concepts in a retail environment; in public accounting and/or public company accounting function
- Advanced competency in Excel and proficient with other Microsoft Office suite products (e.g.,
Outlook, One Note, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Experience using a variety of ERP software and tools
- Excellent verbal and written communications, including active listening skills, problem solving
skills and presentation skills
- Strong analytical, problem identification and problem-solving skills.
- Well versed in inventory accounting principles with the initiative to remain current on accounting
and other regulatory changes.
- Excellent documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis.
- Process oriented with a strong knowledge of applicable general ledger systems and accounting.