Senior Food Scientist / Senior Research and Development Scientist
Exciting opportunity to join a Multi-billion dollar, World Renown food manufacturer to lead the development of new products, oversee pilot plant operations and ensure the products maintain the integrity, consistency, and quality expected.
Reporting to the Director of Research and Development, as a Senior Scientist, you will focus on how to bring a product vision into reality. Success in this role involves experimenting and prototyping to generate solutions and selling these solutions to your business partners.
Research, conduct experiments, gather data, develop preliminary findings, and prepare written reports to develop new tomato products.
Manage or mentor technical activities of other professionals and specialists with complete project accountability.
The successful individual:
- Designs, Develops, and Commercializes new formulations and/or reformulations of existing products.
- Partners with QA, Operations, Marketing, Finance, Sales, and Procurement to execute the development and commercialization of new formulations and/or reformulations, including cost savings initiatives.
- Plans factory trials.
- Seeks to continuously improve production and R&D processes through best practices.
Compensation: $85K- $100K + 10%. Bonus + 9% 401k match
Location: Omaha NE, Council Bluffs, IA, Chicago IL, or Modesto CA.
Relocation: Strong relocation package
- Provide technical leadership over tomato products portfolio
- Develop new tomato products from concept to commercialization
- Develop programs for diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pasta sauces, ketchup, and other tomato forms
- Design and conduct plant trials and new product start-ups
- Partner with plant quality and agricultural operations regarding planning for tomato fresh pack season
- Design and execute experiments and prepare results for review
- Develop new products prototypes
- Guide product cuttings, plant trials, and testing
- Manage other food scientists or technologists
- Travel: minimal except for May to August travel will be around 60% during the tomato season.
- BS degree in Food Science or related
- 5+ yrs R&D food manufacturing experience in tomato processing and or experience with thermal processing and low acid canned food products.
- Knowledge in food product design, formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction, process design, product scale-up, plant testing, and commercialization