Designs load-bearing structures, structural elements or structural systems for a variety of project types, in a variety of industries such as manufacturing, distribution, data centers, commercial, towers, signs, historical, public sector, adaptive reuse, and renovations. Performs analysis of existing structures. Develops drawings or specifications for use during construction and ensures all projects comply with applicable codes and regulations. Determines cause of structural failures, damages, and defects through site investigations.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
Experienced professional. May be a specialist or generalist, usually performs as an advisor and consultant for a technical specialty, a type of facility, or a program function. Plans and conducts work requiring judgment regarding the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Independently performs assignments with instructions as to the general results expected or stated objectives. Determines and develops approaches to solutions. Receives technical guidance/consult/advice only on unusual or complex problems or issues.
- Manages existing client relationships, including daily project communications
- Leads client meetings and presentations; serves as organizational or project liaison in architect and contractor meetings
- Applies deep knowledge and advanced expert skill in one or more areas of specialized areas of practice
- Engages with potential clients to expand business relationships
- Secures new work from existing clients in various markets
- Develops cost effective solutions to offer clients
- Participates in ‘fee-based proposal’ development
- Participates in RFI responses
- Prepares complex technical components for proposals or RFI’s
- Performs and/or oversees existing facility analysis and site reviews
- Prepares design calculations and oversees the preparation of construction documents, reviewing BIM and AutoCAD renderings, and submittals
- Utilizes software in sophisticated ways to aid in the design
- Coordinates information across all disciplines to ensure deliverables are compliant with client expectations and established organizational quality standards
- May serve as Engineer of Record (EOR) for projects designed by others
- If assigned a supervisory role, plans, develops, coordinates, and directs a large and important project or several small projects with many complex features. Mentors and/or oversees lower-level engineers on projects.
- BS w/ PE, MS w/ PE
- 5 to 15 years
- Active Professional Engineer license, possibly in multiple states
- Seismic experience required.
- Experience in Revit.
- Experience with industry standard software, including but not limited to Microsoft products, Bentley (RAM) products, RISA, EnerCalc, Adapt, etc
- Member of professional and technical societies. May publish professional papers.
- Project management experience/ability
- Client management experience a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, manage multiple projects, tasks and deadlines, and bring each to completion.
- Ability to identify applicable codes in project-specific jurisdictions and apply to the project.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written are required