Director of Surgical Services-Charleston, SC
Shift: Full Time-No Weekends
This Medical Center is a 313-bed Healthcare facility in Charleston, South Carolina. The hospital is well-known in the community for its 24-hour emergency room and Level II Trauma Center.
The Center features a wide array of specialized services, including the Joseph M. Still Burn Clinic, a Breast Care Center, and the South Carolina Institute for Robotic Surgery. The quality of these services have earned the facility many awards and accreditations, such as a Chest Pain Center accreditation by the American College of Cardiology and a Stroke Center accreditation from The Joint Commission. Staff members say the supportive management, emphasis on teamwork, and excellent work-life balance are among the top reasons to work here.
The Director of Surgical Services Department leads the perioperative team by focusing on safe patient care while effectively managing operations. The Director Surgical Services has 24/7 responsibility for their departments.
- Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
- Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
- Advances the customer experience in Surgical Services.
- Coaches subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
- Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
- Facilitates evidence based employee engagement practices.
- Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
- Participate in employee and patient rounding
- Identifies and mentor potential future leaders
- Enforces standards of care for surgical services and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing surgical services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
- Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy, environmental, patient, and personnel safety
- Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
- Responsible for department’s operational excellence by ensuring delivery of quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Enforces safe procedural site and patient verification policy
- Monitors and responds to quality event reporting
- Supports new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
- Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
- Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
- Advances the growth agenda for Surgical Services.
- Strives to become the OR of Choice for physicians, patients, staff, and payers in the community they serve
- Demonstrates a poised and confident demeanor that reassures others and commands respect within the organization and the community.
- Develops and builds strategic internal and external networks.
Supports System by:
- Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service
- Practicing and adhering to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field preferred
- 3+ years of experience in Surgical Services, preferably OR nursing required
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role preferred
- Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation required
- Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) preferred
- Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) preferred
Reports to VP of Surgical Services
Vacancy Period: 90 Days
Reason for vacancy: incumbent left for another opportunity
Level II Trauma - Busy - approx 21 OR’s
Types of Service: Cardiac, Ortho, Thoracic, Urology and use of Robotic equipment
Type of culture: Close knit group-Team oriented
Length of process: "In general, this hiring manager will move quickly if she is interested in the candidate."
Salary Range: Mid: $117K (3+ years of experience), Max $145K (10+ years of experience). Up to 15% annual performance incentive (bonus)
Relocation Assistance: $10K