Environmental, Health, Safety Specialist (EHS Specialist)
Our Portage, Wisconsin client is looking to hire an Environmental, Health, Safety Specialist (EHS Specialist). The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist position is responsible for implementing all policies and procedures that comprise the EHS program including, but limited to, evaluation and control of safety and health hazards in the workplace, routine hazard recognition and environmental management and also supports functions by performing routine tasks associated with inspection of necessary equipment. The position will work with managers, supervisors, and employees to minimize environmental exposures, occupational health and safety risks, teach specific safe work habits and manage compliance with applicable regulations. The position will primarily work days but will be required to work some split shifts and on-call to cover the full plant operations.
- Directly support Environmental, Health and Safety at facility by training and enforcing safety programs and policies and initiatives.
- Administer continuous training programs that comply with OSHA regulations and develop safe work behaviors.
- Manage industrial hygiene programs including medical testing, physicals, respiratory testing, fit testing.
- Manage hazardous and non-hazardous waste inspections.
- Collect, document and record site EHS monitoring including.
- Apply the Company drug and alcohol testing program, complying with federal and state laws.
- Schedule and conduct site EHS compliance inspections, perform records documentation and provide corrective action response recommendations and tracking.
- Use a working knowledge of personal, industrial & occupational safety to manage safety programs such as Life Safety Code, Forklift Operations, Hoist & Crane Operations, Lifting Equipment, Job Safety Analysis, Blood borne Pathogen Exposure Control, Respiratory Protection, PPE Program, Hazard Communication and other OSHA required programs.
- Promote technical safety and occupational health awareness through internal company communications, such as newsletters, committee meetings, 5 minute safety talks, best practices, and specific training programs.
- Support maintenance, plant services and quality assurance to implement engineering controls and food safety while minimizing employee safety and occupational health hazards.
- Identify and develop corrective actions for potential hazards by auditing facilities, machinery and safety equipment.
- Manage DOT driver files, random drug screening and DOT documentation in the company’s electronic system.
- Utilize and analyze safety and health metrics, trend and data to understand what is working well and where gaps exist. Provide quick response and program reprioritization to prevent injuries and risks.
- Manage location’s workers compensation program closely monitoring claims, review reports, conduct timely and thorough investigations, identify corrective actions and ensure actions are complete.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety management, industrial health and safety, a discipline of safety engineering or related field from accredited college or university or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Three to five years of experience managing and leading operational safety, preferably within the food industry with proven ability to deliver results.
- Technical knowledge of fluid milk, cheese and drying operations is preferred.
- Certified Safety Professional with OSHA 511 course completion preferred.
- First Responder, Basic Life Support Training preferred.
- Understanding of the 1904 Recordkeeping Standards and 1910 General Industry Standards;
- Knowledge of Investigations, Hazard recognition, Training, Recordkeeping, and Behavioral Safety.