- No unions
- 1 to 100 EEs
- Multi-state payrolls – yes
- The position handles multiple client payrolls.
A Payroll Specialist is primarily responsible for processing payroll and maintaining the employee database regarding salary and pay. This position requires interaction with various clients about their payrolls and has sole responsibility for all duties associated with processing weekly, bi-monthly and monthly payrolls for clients. Outlined below are responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position.
$50,000.-$65,000. + 401K with no necessary contribution
- Process payroll for Employees, Shareholders, and General Partners in the organization.
- Process payroll for non-exempt and exempt employee groups.
- Create reports in Excel from timesheet data provided by clients.
- Process wage garnishments and other payroll related deductions.
- Enter data into databases, spreadsheets and payroll-oriented systems.
- Process all transactions relating to onboarding new employees.
- Process all transactions relating to offboarding employees to include calculating payouts for PTO, etc.
- Process paper checks for distribution. (System creates paper checks however client prints and distributes.)
- Control entire process of payroll for companies to include obtaining all necessary signatures for payroll processing.
- Manage all approved adjustments to pay (raises, bonuses, expense reimbursement, taxation and commissions).
- Maintain tracking records of pay periods, hourly wages, salaries, overtime, PTO time to include sick days, vacation days and all benefitted time for employees.
- Liaise with the client representative to ensure accurate information for payments.
- Work directly with clients to achieve organization goals relating to payroll processing.
- Prepare reports for payroll, expense tracking and other pertinent company reports to include taxation responsibilities relating to payroll.
- Address and resolve employee inquiries relating to the payroll system.
- Onboard new clients.
- Complete registration of federal, state, and local withholding accounts.
- Set up entity in payroll system.
- Prepare and file amended tax returns as needed.
- Review department tasks in JetPack each day and confirm staff completed.
- Calculate total cost of payroll and initiate bank fund transfer if required by client.
- Submit Workers Comp wage reporting each payroll.
- Calculate 401(k) deferrals and match within plan and IRS maximum allowed each payroll.
- Create reports from both the system data and outside data to complete their payroll.
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree in Accounting preferred.
- Five years in a payroll processing position.
- Excellent mathematical skills and computer accuracy.
- Strong knowledge of payroll laws (updated and impacted by tax and wage laws).
- Strong understanding of the coordination of payroll within the other financial systems of the company.
- Strong computer literacy including Microsoft Office applications to include Excel proficiency. (Familiar with V-lookups and Advanced Sort Functions in Excel).
- Exposure to and/or working knowledge of various payroll systems (SurePayroll and QuickBooks Online).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills.
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision while reporting to a Manager of Accounting.
- Proven experience in a payroll position in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.