The Workday Technical Engineer serves as the day-to-day liaison between Information Technology Services (ITS) and the functional users by developing highly-resilient, fundamentally-sound configuration to support functional and technical processes, and bring technical expertise to drive innovation solutions. This role is an integral part in advancing and optimizing the Human Capital Management, Financials, Budget, and future Workday modules such as Student.
This role manages the ongoing and evolving system technical operations, and leads technical solutions and enhancements as well as recommending and applying best practices. Reporting to the Senior Director of Workday Strategy and Operations, this role will work closely and collaborates with the Senior Workday Solutions Architect and other enterprise technical leads to support the Workday roadmap and operations.
As the Workday Technical Engineer, you will be responsible for partnering with the Workday Platform team, HCM & FINS and other subject matter experts to support reporting, integrations and technical configurations. We are seeking highly creative and intellectually curious individuals who are passionate about developing innovative solutions and support the success of the Workday continuous delivery roadmap.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Workday platform, including but not limited to: day-to-day systemic support and strategic improvements; partnering and collaborating with appropriate institutional stakeholders to troubleshoot and resolve production issues; coordinating, reviewing, testing, and remaining abreast of Workday and Adaptive changes, upgrades, and issues that affect each module.
- Accountable for day-to-day technical management of Workday environment, including monitoring, security, privacy, vulnerability remediation, performance, data protection and disaster recovery.
- Manage the design, development, testing, and maintenance of custom Workday and Adaptive reports, and/or integrations, dashboards in alignment with the institutional goals, and data security framework.
- Manage and document product gaps from business specifications to product enhancements and/or business process change.
- Work to keep the environment updated, healthy and operational and proactively identify and implement operational improvements.
- Understand permission structure, Workday access and downstream system impacts.
- Assist with the development of a Workday data governance program and align with the enterprise data governance program.
- Build and maintain Workday integrations using tools like Workday Studio, BIRT, Prism, Core Connector, and API calls and follow defined integration/development standards and best practices.
- Configure, test, validate and implement Business Process changes in Workday
- Ensure data and security consistency across all Workday modules and following data privacy standards.
- Evaluate releases and functionality to identify opportunities to improve and optimize the use of Workday.
- Active member of the Workday operations team and manages the work flow of support and enhancement initiatives and tickets.
- Partnering with the Senior Workday Solutions Architect on all information technology concerns including support tickets, data use, data integrity, data security, permission and access, and training.
- Understand system architecture of upstream and downstream impacts when implementing solutions.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of Workday products, administration best practices, and agile methodology best practices.
- Create and maintain technical documentation and user-guides.
- Able to provide best practices on how to maintain an easy-to-use documentation structure.
- Conduct user-training and help-sessions for new features or implementations.
- Promote adoption and best practice of Workday suite amongst the user-community.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
- 3-5 years of Workday Platform experience including Adaptive (Workday Student a plus)
- 3 years of Workday Finance report writing experience
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience with financial management technology systems.
- Studio and advanced calculated fields knowledge.
- Prism experience, a plus.
- Experience with other business intelligence tools such as Power BI and the Microsoft Office suite, including MS project.
- Experience with data governance and reporting and/or integration processes, procedures, and best practices.
- Self-directed approach with a high degree of initiative to investigate and resolve issues.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to details.
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity, good judgment, mature and positive attitude.
- Strong written, verbal, visual, presentation and interpersonal skills – collaborative team member.
- Working knowledge of accounting, general ledger structure, and basic financial statements.
- Experience working closely with non-technical business owners on a technical solution.
- Ability to understand business processes, workflows, and requirements.
- Ability to work multiple tasks.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Envisions and proposes new methods to perform tasks, and accepts new and ongoing initiatives, objectives, and solutions to gain sought-after results.
- Anticipates and embraces change; demonstrates willingness to achieve, acquire, and utilize new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years related professional experience.
- BA degree in technology field or commensurate professional experience.
- Strong leadership, planning, organizational, and project management skills.
- Workday accreditation (certification) in Workday Financials (strongly desired).
- Workday Pro Certifications in Financials Integrations / Reporting (strongly desired).
- 100% remote with occasional on-campus meetings.
- Some occasional travel to Workday training and annual Workday Rising Conference.
- May require occasional evening and/or weekend work.
- Additional Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Previous experience in an information technology environment.
- Workday Implementation experience with other Workday modules such as Workday Student, Adaptive Insights, Prism, and Extend.